This weekend I got to preach what has become one of my favorite passages, Matthew 5:43-45. My main idea was that if we wonâ€™t trust Jesus as a practical teacher, we canâ€™t trust Him as a spiritual savior. When it comes to how we should practically treat those around us, Jesus instructs us to love both our neighbors and our enemies. And in case you were wondering, this encompasses everyone!
Here are some of the key points from the message:
- You can always find a reason not to treat others as your neighbor.
- Loving enemies will always cost you something.
- You can decide to treat people as your enemy, but Jesus won’t do it with you.
Here are three applications of these ideas if you want to follow Jesusâ€¦
- You donâ€™t get to hate your enemies.
- You donâ€™t even get to have people as enemies.
- You have to learn to live with others in a creative way.