Why My Kids Go to Public School
I’m a product of public education up till college and these days I’m working on my Master’s degree. I love learning and I’m one of the people who enjoy the classroom setting. As of this week, I now have three kids in our local elementary school. I’ve watched over the last few years as more and more people leave the public school system for private and charter schools. Many of them are my close friends. This move is usually motivated by at least two desires:
- AÂ better education
- A way to strengthen their Christian faith
- When we go to church together each weekend… we are predominantly with like-minded people.
- When we go to our after school activities each week…Â we are predominantly with like-minded people.
- When we meet up with our friends and their kids…Â we are predominantly with like-minded people.
- BUT… when we go to school five days out of the week and all the activities and events associated with this, we are predominantly with people who are often VERY different than us.
- My kids will get a better education. Maybe. But this isn’t a guarantee. I’ve also been amazed how the state will provide extra support for the needs of your kids if you apply for it. Don’t forget that an engaged parent trumps a good teacher. Not to mention that you may be able to support and empower the great teachers at public schools who are often very discouraged.
- My kids will grow in their faith. My years of student ministry have lead me to conclude that there’s no correlation here. For every great Christian student in private school I can show you one from public school. I could also tell you some not-so-hilarious stories about what happens at Christian schools. Kids will deal with kid issues wherever they are.
Do You Want to Read the Bible Without Falling Behind?
Sign up your email and I’ll send you a PDF to download and use my custom-made reading plan system. There’s no way to fall behind on this system and every day will be different no matter how long you use it!
I’ll send future content directly to your inbox AND you can dive into the Bible like never before.