Redeeming Pleasure Officially Releases Today!
I have been waiting for today for years. Actually, almost two decades. Back in high school I felt the desire to address a false choice I watched so many people make between God and pleasure. Either follow God and forsake all fun, or enjoy life and leave God behind. But what if our search for pleasure mirrored our search for God? And what if we could actually show people that through God we experience life to the full?I hope that this will encourage a believer in their faith through perspectives that may be unfamiliar. Iâ€™m convinced thereâ€™s a need for a fresh conversation about God in our post-Christendom culture and Iâ€™ve done my best to contribute my voice to it. Itâ€™s also my hope that this book will offer refreshing perspectives to nonbelievers and will serve as a catalyst in shifting their view of God. God is even better than theyâ€™ve ever imagined! Through logical arguments as well as Scripture, I work throughout the book to unpack topics like sex, alcohol, entertainment, and much more, including our views of God. It is a theology for everybody. If you are interested in getting a copy of the book for yourself (or just reading a sample), check out the site we built just for it at RedeemingPleasure.com. And if you’re feeling extra kind to me today, would you consider helping me to spread the word about it? Here are a few ideas:
- Tweet about it using the hashtag #RedeemingPleasure. If you want, just click here and I’ll give you a tweet to use.
- Post about it on Facebook using the hashtag #RedeemingPleasure
- Post a 5-star review on Amazon. This, of course, is only requested if you love the book and are behind the message.
- Invite me to speak about it to your audience (if you have a platform that would make sense for that).
Choosing between God or pleasure? Grab a copy of #RedeemingPleasure and experience both.Click to tweet
- “Rarely does a book combine theological insight with practical wisdom the way Redeeming Pleasure does. With wit, wisdom, humor and uncommon clarity, Jeremy helps us see that our hunger for pleasure is a legitimate, though often misdirected, part of our being made in God’s image. And he reveals how it is often false, though commonly held, theological assumptions that get Christians off track. This is a book that has the power to revolutionize the way you think and beautifully transform the way you live. It is simply a MUST read!â€ Dr. Gregory Boyd, Teaching Pastor – Woodland Hills Church, author and co-author of 20 books, including The Myth of a Christian Nation, Letters From a Skeptic, and Repenting of Religion.
- â€œI think Christians have struggled for years with the subject of pleasureâ€¦ good and bad. I grew up around Christians who never seemed to think pleasurable things were from God or even ok to pursue. Iâ€™m so excited that my friend Jeremy Jernigan has decided to tackle this tough conversation. Heâ€™s an incredibly thoughtful and intelligent leader who is pastoring his church so well. I really believe this work will help many believers live more pleasurable lives because pleasure and joy come from God!â€ Tyler Reagin, Director of Catalyst
- â€œFollowing Jesus and finding pleasure are often presented as mutually exclusive. You can have one or the other, but you canâ€™t have them both. Jeremy is addressing a subject that we desperately need to give our attention to as Christians living in an increasingly pleasure-obsessed culture. Jeremy helps us see how following Jesus and finding pleasure are related, because when you follow Jesus you will find true and lasting pleasure.â€ Kyle Idleman, Teaching Pastor at Southeast Christian Church, author of Not A Fan
- “Recently an Orthodox archbishop was asked if he had a message for the evangelical church in America. He instantly replied, ‘Your moralism is killing you.’ I believe the archbishop is right. Which is why Jeremy Jernigan’s Redeeming Pleasure is so timely and important. The God revealed in Christ is not a ‘big policeman in the sky’ glowering at humanity in constant disapproval. The God whom Jesus called Father is the author of pleasure who invites us to drink deeply from his river of delights. Redeeming Pleasure provides us with a thoughtful and well-written exploration of divine delight.” Brian Zahnd, Lead Pastor of Word of Life Church, Author of A Farewell To Mars
- “Jeremy Jerniganâ€™s fresh insight into pursuing a life that follows Godâ€™s plan is energizing and inspirational. If youâ€™re looking for a book that details the truth of finding true joy and pleasure in life, then this is a must read.” Pete Wilson, Senior Pastor of Cross Point Church, Author of Plan B
- “Jeremy Jernigan is an important and much needed refreshing voice today.Whether through his writings or teachings, his insights on the scriptures inspire me to step fully into the kingdom life Jesus taught about. Redeeming Pleasure goes after the search we all hold so dear and clearly points us to the more fuller and expansive life Jesus promisesâ€¦ such an incredible read!â€ Steve Carter, Teaching Pastor at Willow Creek Community Church
- â€œFor those of us who want to live life to the fullest, Redeeming Pleasure shows us how, in ways we might never expect. Full of wisdom, humour, and honesty, I’m happy to recommend Jeremy Jernigan as someone well worth paying attention to.â€ Bruxy Cavey, Teaching pastor at The Meeting House and Author of Best-Seller The End of Religion
- “In a culture of pleasure seekers Jeremy Jernigan offers counter-cultural, yet life-giving perspective that will inspire, challenge and free you deep in your soul.” Gene Appel, Senior Pastor – Eastside Christian Church
- “It is normal to desire a life that has meaning and purpose but when someone suggests pursuing pleasure, we are inclined to think of sinful acts or self-indulgence. Jeremy Jernigan challenges that traditional line of reasoning and casts a new light on what God desires for his children. He even takes on some controversial contemporary issues and the consequences of making rash judgments. Redeeming Pleasure will make you re-think some of your assumptions and how to blend biblical teachings about sacrificial living and self-denial with the concept of personal fulfillment within the grace of God.” Dr. John Derry, President – Hope International University
- “In a culture crumbling from personal indulgence & pleasure-overload, Jeremy Jernigan issues a prophet’s correctiveâ€”not the denial of pleasure, nor its simple indulgenceâ€”but a full-blown redemption of sex, work, and other God-given gifts. Redeeming Pleasure is a pleasure to read.â€ Tim Lucas, Lead Pastor – Liquid Church, author – You Married the Wrong Person
- â€œI affirm this book with an enthusiastic YES! Kudos to Jeremy for having the motivation and insight to confront a fundamental misconception of how to live well, ultimately diminishing humankind. Jeremy Jernigan’s deep dive look into human behavior, Godâ€™s intentions and our fixation on pleasure is sure to cause many people to rethink how life is lived in our pursuit of ‘the ultimate.’ This intelligent, yet accessible read cracks the code to human freedom and fulfillment by learning to avoid the pain induced by natural impulses and tapping the source of divine, extravagant pleasure.â€ Monty Kelso, Founder/Partner – The Slingshot Group
- “Jeremy Jernigan’s Redeeming Pleasure is a call to Christian â€˜Epicureanism’ and a â€˜liberating’ read. It reminds one of the rabbi who said, ‘On the day of judgment men will give an account for everything they should have enjoyed but didnâ€™t.’ This book is a call to remember that, ‘Everything created by God is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving’ (1 Timothy 4:4).â€ Dr. Mark Scott, Preaching and New Testament/Director of Preaching Department – Ozark Christian College
- â€œWe would all agree that our culture seems to get more and more off track, but Jeremy has hit the nail on the head with what ails us. Our relentless chase for fulfillment leads us down the broken road of pleasure gone haywire. Redeeming Pleasure is not only a great read but a must read if we want to align ourselves with God’s goodness and His gift of pleasure.â€ Rick Rusaw, Senior Minister of LifeBridge Church, and author of Externally Focused Life
- â€œBecoming a responsible, faith-seeking, value-driven “adult”, doesn’t mean life should be boring and blase! In Jeremy Jernigan’s new book Redeeming Pleasure, he masterfully crafts a well-researched, engaging conversation about pursuing pleasure the way it was designed to be, delivering rich insight wrapped in humor. If you are not experiencing the joy you hoped for in any area of your life, this is a Must Read, and will give you a much needed paradigm shift to put down the guilt and grab hold of abundant life as it is meant to be lived.â€ Paul Angone, author of All Groan Up
- “For those who think the Christian life should be all business and no pleasure, or for those whose self-serving pursuits of pleasure have left them feeling empty, Redeeming Pleasure is a must-read. Jeremy Jernigan paints a helpful picture of the goodness of God-given pleasure and what healthy habits of ‘Christian hedonism’ look like in a Jesus-honoring life.â€ Brett McCracken, author of Hipster Christianity and Gray Matters
Do You Want to Read the Bible Without Falling Behind?
Sign up your email and I’ll send you a PDF to download and use my custom-made reading plan system. There’s no way to fall behind on this system and every day will be different no matter how long you use it!
I’ll send future content directly to your inbox AND you can dive into the Bible like never before.