This is part of a series of posts on 20 quotes.Â Click hereÂ to see others.I spent the last two days with more than 2000 leaders in my community. We absorbed insights and encouragement from speakers at this year’s Global Leadership Summit. For those of you who may be unaware, the Leadership Summit is a two-day conference hosted byÂ Willow Creek Community ChurchÂ in Chicago. Central hosted the event the last few years and this year we hosted it at two of our campuses. Below Iâ€™ve selected twenty of my favorite quotes from the event. Each of these quotes is my best representation in writing of what they said verbally or a summary thereof. Any errors in wording are my own.
- “Armed with enough humility, leaders can learn from anyone.” Bill Hybels
- “The core of leadership is not vision or strategy, it’s self-sacrificing love.” Bill Hybels
- “A charismatic cause doesn’t need a charismatic leader. Inspire people to follow the cause, not to follow you.” Jim Collins
- “We succeed at our very best only when we help others succeed.” Jim Collins
- “Art isn’t about drawing, art is about learning to see.” Ed Catmull
- “Success is less like Battleship (sinking other ships), and is more like the rising tide that lifts all boats.” Adam Grant
- “We’re not thinking beings who sometimes feel, we’re emotional beings who sometimes think.” Dr. Brene Brown
- “Being on empty is not a sign of a good work ethic.” Albert Tate
- “What industry is not in service? Go to work to be excellent in caring for people.” Horst Schulze
- “Nobody can claim superiority over another human being.”Â Horst Schulze
- “You will always be able to find something wrong with the feedback you receive.” Sheila Heen
- “With any exchange between giver & receiver, it’s the receiver that’s in charge.” Sheila Heen
- “So much of leadership is like walking on water, only God can keep you from sinking.” Brian Houston
- “If you don’t have an antidote for fear, you will be crushed by it.” Bill Hybels
- “You will not find the definition of success until you help the people God sent you to succeed.” Sam Adeyemi
- “Following you should hold the promise of life change for those who follow you.”Â Sam Adeyemi
- “If you want your team to stay relevant, lead your team into the unknown.” Liz Wiseman
- “It’s not what you know, it’s how fast you can learn.” Liz Wiseman
- “If your character is not strengthening, your future is weakening.” Craig Groeschel
- “Why would I ever want to resist a temptation tomorrow that I could eliminate today?”Â Craig Groeschel
- “Love never leaves a heart the way it found it.” Bill Hybels
- “Reframe failure as growth.” Jim Collins
- “Be rigorous, not ruthless. Take care of your people, not your career. Life is people.” Jim Collins
- “Who you are in the middle space (where you can’t see in front of you) is where leadership is born, it’s where courage is forged.” Dr. Brene Brown
- “Be a successful giver by doing more 5 minute favors.” Adam Grant
- “Leaders forfeit the right to make excuses!” Horst Schulz
- “Jesus did not only crush the power gap, He overturned it.”Â Sam Adeyemi
- “Stories are the way we communicate with each other.” Ed Catmull
Do You Want to Read the Bible Without Falling Behind?
Sign up your email and I’ll send you a PDF to download and use my custom-made reading plan system. There’s no way to fall behind on this system and every day will be different no matter how long you use it!
I’ll send future content directly to your inbox AND you can dive into the Bible like never before.